Sunday, January 3, 2010

SMOOTHIES

Sigh. What can I say about smoothies. I.love.them.with.all.my.heart. They make a great meal, recovery drink after a workout, or even just as a snack. Do whatever you want. You're the boss. Except when I am.

Here are my 3 favorite recipes.

Peanut butter and banana smoothie:
1 banana
1 cup almond milk
2 tbs ground flaxseed
1 tsp peanut butter (although I secretly put more or just eat a gob off the spoon)
2 scoops vanilla or chocolate whey protein powder
handful of ice

I have this for breakfast on my days off. You may be wondering why only on my days off. Mainly because I don't think my husband would appreciate me firing up the blender at 4:30am and waking up the whole family. He's funny like that. I also have this after a workout. The whey protein helps your muscles recover and rebuild.

Berry protein smoothie:

1/2 cup frozen blueberries
1/2 cup frozen strawberries
1 small container yogurt (plain, strawberry or blueberry, whatever)
1 cup almond milk
1 scoop vanilla protein powder
2 tbs ground flaxseed
1/2 pkt stevia natural sweetener (if you want a sweeter drink)
(no need for ice in this one since you are using frozen berries)

Groovy green smoothie: (photo from allrecipes.com)


1 banana
1 cup grapes
1/2 apple (leave the skin on...thats' where the nutrients are silly!)
1 container low fat vanilla yogurt
1 1/2 cups fresh spinach leaves
2 tbs ground flaxseed
2 scoops vanilla protein powder
Ice (or else you could freeze the grapes beforehand!)

You may remember my previous post about groovy green smoothies...we still love them!
Of course, with smoothies, the sky's the limit. There are SO many variations you can use. Look on allrecipes.com for gobs of smoothie recipes!!

1 comment: