Monday, January 4, 2010

POLENTA AND MARINARA

Next up in my favorite foods line-up.....Polenta. It's just cornmeal and water. Honestly, I've only prepared this once, but I loved it! Yesterday I used Freida's basil oregano polenta, sliced it, and browned it in a little bit of olive oil and garlic. Then, I topped it with a little low-fat mozzarella.Delish! They make several different varieties of Polenta, so I'm anxious to try them all. It's also simple and inexpensive to make yourself. There are also many, ways to serve it. In fact, tonight I am preparing it again, like I did yesterday, but am topping it with some homemade marinara sauce and fresh grated parmesan. I think it will be a good change from pasta. You can usually find it in the refrigerated section of the produce department.

Speaking of homemade marinara sauce, this stuff is FANTASTIC. Way better than anything you will find in a jar, without all the preservatives. I got the original recipe out of the Biggest loser cookbook, and have tweaked it a bit to suit our tastes.FRESH MARINARA SAUCE

Olive oil spray
2 cups minced sweet onions
4 tbs freshly minced garlic
2 (28 oz) cans crushed tomatoes*
3/4 cup water
4 tbs no-salt-added tomato paste
4 tsp honey
2 tbs dried oregano
4 tsp dried basil
1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 cup chopped fresh italian parsley
a couple splashes of marsala
2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms (I like crimini)

*I actually used seasoned diced tomatoes, because that's what I had in my pantry. It makes for a chunkier sauce, but tasted just as good.

Spray a large nonstick saucepan with the olive oil spray and place over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until just becoming tender, (should not brown) for 4 to 6 minutes. Reduce the heat to low and with a wooden spoon stir in the tomatoes, water, tomato paste, honey, oregano, basil, red pepper flakes and parsley until well combined. In a seperate pan, saute' the mushrooms in some garlic and a light bit of olive oil. Add mushrooms to marinara sauce. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for at least 1 hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment