Monday, September 7, 2009

GROOVY GREEN SMOOTHIES

In a desperate attempt to boost my daughter's immune system after a rough, rough year (bacterial pneumonia, meningitis, staph infection, strep throat, meningitis again), I have taken drastic measures. We've decided to homeschool her and never let her step foot outside again. Ever.

Ok, so I'm kidding. Although I do find homeschooling intriguing. That's another post.

I stopped at Mother's Cupboard nutrition store the other day and gave the ladies there my sob story. Sick kid. All the time. I left there with a bag full of nutritional goodness. The Love Bites are just a better multivitamin than what they've been taking. The immune booster is chock full of good stuff like green tea, olive leaf, shitake mushrooms, garlic and the like. The Primadophilus helps put good bacteria into the digestive system, to give a better balance of good/bad bacteria. I feel great about this new plan and really, really hope it will give both of the kids that extra boost to fight all the ickies that are out there.

The downside? Getting them to chew FOUR vitamins a day. I thought that might be a problem, so I've found some fantastic smoothie recipes to use. I grind the vitamins up, mix them in and they have no clue! So far, our favorite has been the Groovy Green Smoothie....(For the record, this is not my picture...I got it off allrecipes.com).

This delicious concoction has apple chunks, frozen grapes (just to make it colder), banana, vanilla yogurt...and....(TADA!) spinach leaves. Hence the gorgeous green color. Now, before you start gagging, choking and rolling around on the floor, let me tell you something. It tastes amazing!! If you don't like spinach, you would never know it was in there (personally I like spinach). We all loved it! I am also able to put all the kids' vitamins in it, and you can't taste a difference. I put emergen-c in mine for a little extra boost. The only bad side to this one is that when you put the pink vitamins in it, the color changes to a yuckier green/gray. It doesn't change the taste, but Grace didn't like the color. So, this morning she had a strawberry smoothie (no color change) and all was well in her world!!

Yum!

2 comments:

  1. I asked one of the dieticians at work about Gracie being so sick. One other thing you might try is Omega3. She said that is a major immunity boost. So that is about the only other thing you might add. And lots of good foods have omega3.

    Thanks for the organizing advice too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Green Smoothies, Green Shakes, and Green Juices are AWESOME! They're one of the best ways to load up your body with nutrients that are easily assimilated. Yum!

    And, homeschooling... I love the idea. We plan on doing that when we have kids. :)

    Cheers to green smoothies and strong immune systems,
    Kristen

    ReplyDelete