Monday, March 23, 2009

APPARENTLY, WE'RE NEEDY


Today Gracie comes home with an application for free and/or reduced-price meals. I found it in her backpack and tossed it in the garbage. Later, she comes tearing into the dining room looking for the "important paper" she brought home for me. After we determined what she was looking for, I asked her why she wanted to keep it. She said "It's so I can have breakfast at Cole's school".

Let me explain.

Gracie catches a bus to her Kindergarten at Cole's school in the mornings. She waits in the gym, which is also where they serve a free/reduced breakfast (for qualifying families) in the mornings. She's bummed because she doesn't get to take part in this breakfast....so today she relayed her discontent to one of the supervisors and hence the application for assistance. Little did they know that this poor, darling child doesn't get breakfast in the mornings! It's no wonder she tried to sign herself up for free meals! The poor thing! I tried to carefully explain to her that this is a program for families that need a little help with meals for their kids, because they might be a little "low" on money, really trying to be as tactful as I possibly could. She answered by saying "I'm low on money, I'm broke!"

Somebody feed this girl.

3 comments:

  1. you really have some very unique kids there! Very cute story! I remember thinking that I wish my family was poor so I can have the reduced lunches at my school..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Check this out

    http://thatunreliablegirl.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - I want to hear more about the conferences. Love the hair cuts - very stylish! I just love the story about Gracie needing free breakfast...well, I guess we'll have to feed that girl a second breakfast, huh?! :) LOL!

    ReplyDelete