Saturday, March 21, 2009

JUST THINKING


So, I was reading an article last night about Michelle Obama. Now, whether or not I voted for her husband is irrelevant...I'm finding that I really like HER! She was saying in this interview that she insists that her daughters are not catered upon while living in the White House. They are expected to make their beds, help set the table for dinner, make their own toast and so on. What a great example that is setting for families all over the country! My kids have their own responsiblities in our home, I refuse to do it all on top of a full time job. They keep up their bedrooms on a daily basis, put away their own laundry, help feed the animals, dust and so on. It gives them a sense of being part of a working family, and also gives them the feeling of accomplishment and pride of ownership. I want them to know that we all have responsibilites, and how rewarding it is to follow through on them. Neither of them really even complain anymore about doing them, they know I won't budge. Gracie has gotten smart enough not to create a big mess in the first place because she doesn't want to clean it up! Cole on the other hand.....well lets just say he creates alot of work for himself! Now, don't get me wrong, its not like I've got them spending hours a day doing chores. Usually its 10 or 15 minutes a day, and sometimes not at all. We almost always get to do something really fun afterwards because we all pitched in and did it together. What great teamwork!

1 comment:

  1. She's very lovable, isn't she?

    Their girls are adorable too.

    ReplyDelete