Friday, October 1, 2010

Veganism

Last week my sister mentioned that she was going to try out a vegan lifestyle. She has been a vegetarian for several years, and even inspired me to go vegetarian myself nearly a year ago. I must admit, I feel so much better. However, I have always been skeptical about veganism...mainly because it seems so "over-the-top", and a whole heck of alot of work.

While doing some research, I came across this website, which lists 57 health benefits of going to a vegan lifestyle.  I HIGHLY recommend checking it out...what an eye opener! So, I decided to try a couple days myself and see what I thought. The first two days were so easy that I'm going for a week! I don't know that I will make a permanent switch, but could easily do it 3 days a week or so long term. To be honest, I am doing it solely for health reasons. I am also concerned about all the junk that my kids eat, and am really trying to limit the "garbage" that goes into their bodies. I've found that they like most of the healthier foods that I buy, and if I can get them headed in the right direction now, then healthy eating will be a habit for them later in life!!

 This list has been extremely helpful....I always thought it would be so hard to find things to eat that were dairy and "animal free". Here are few things I've tried over the past few days:

Good stuff....certainly doesn't taste as good as butter but a whole heck of a lot better for your heart!
I liked the wholesoy & co yogurt. My friend Amanda tried a bite of it and hated it. It does leave a bit of "beany" aftertaste, but that didn't really bother me. Last night I used the vanilla in a smoothie and couldn't tell a difference from regular yogurt...neither of my kids noticed either!
I was surprised by the Vegenaise. I had a veggie sandwich for dinner last night and used a bit of this in lieu of miracle whip light that I ususally use. Tasted great! I could easily slip this by my husband and kids without them noticing.
The Yves veggie dogs are pretty good....as long as you have them with ketchup, mustard and relish! I don't care for the taste of them plain...but I wouldn't usually eat a plain hot dog anyway.
So far, so good! I went to Huckleberry's last night and found alot of really yummy looking new stuff to try out.....I'll keep you posted on how it goes!!

No comments:

Post a Comment