Friday, June 5, 2009

SO LONG, KINDERGARTEN

I am an emotional mess. Tonight we went to Gracie's Kindergarten center for their "end of the year" bbq / family night. I can't believe she is done with Kindergarten. Where did this year go? What will we do without her wonderful, wonderful teacher, Mrs. Milliken? Gracie adores her. No more learning to write the alphabet and numbers. No more sitting at the butterfly and ladybug tables. No more Thanksgiving turkeys' made out of her little paint covered handprints. No more silly little songs to help her remember her color words. I can't believe its over. I can't believe she is 6 years older and almost a first grader. Watching my little girl leave Kindergarten is so much harder than watching her begin last fall was.

Yes, she is still a little girl, and a Mama's girl at that. But, I'm running out of time with her. I know, I know, we've got many more years, but where did the first 6 years go? I remember nursing her when she was a baby and thinking, I've got SO much time to enjoy this little person. Now, we've moved on to addition and subtraction, and pierced ears. Soon she will be gone and I will be lost. She is such an extension of me, and I love our connection. Does our relationship just change as time goes on? Does our connection grow and mature and deepen? I have to hope so.

I know she will love first grade. She is beyond ready. And, she still loves snugglin' with Mama and wants to do everything with me. Sometimes this drives me nuts, but I have to remind myself to embrace these times while I have them. She has such a loving heart and gentle spirit, and makes this world a better place to live in.

Gracie, Mommy loves you.

2 comments:

  1. I COMPLETELY understand how you feel right now!!!! I look at Megan and wonder where all the time went. Seriously!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, I'm so mad at her for growing! :)

    ReplyDelete