Friday, May 1, 2009

MOTHER'S INTUITION

This morning I find myself with a little extra time before work, due to the fact that I forgot to throw my clothes in the dryer last night. Im usually so together. Dang. Anyway, I thought I would use this time to post something fabulously interesting and deeply thought out. You're welcome.

After 4 days of being skeptical about the Nurses' diagnosis of chickenpox over the phone, I called them back today and asked if they would please see her, since I just wasn't convinced. Turns out she does NOT have chickenpox, but instead has a staph infection. This girl just has a knack for picking up the strangest stuff! She starts oral antibiotics tonight and will be able to get her little self back to Kindergarten on Monday. YES!! YES!! Mom is happy! happy! To be honest, I'm really pretty relieved to have her on antibiotics, what with all the health scares and stuff going around. I've GOT to get this girl healthy!

It would also appear that we pushed the panic button and convinced ourselves that Cole had chickenpox too. Today there is not a spot to be found on his body. His fever from yesterday could just be the same cold we have all been fighting.

In light of all this, I've realized something about being a mother. Remember that phrase, "Mother's intuition"? I've got to start listening to mine. All week I had a feeling that what she has was not chickenpox, but couldn't imagine what else it would be. On Tuesday, the nurse told me over the phone "Oh yeah, it sounds just like chickenpox", so I went with that. I spent the next 3 days googling pictures of CP, and didn't really see anything that looked like it. I also spent a great deal of time harrassing quizzing my Mom and Mother in law about what they thought, even though they hadn't seen her yet. My Mom stopped by yesterday to watch the kids so I could go to Grace's school and pick up her work, and she said "Oh, that doesn't look like chickenpox". At that point, I called the pediatrician.

Long story short,(well not that short actually), Mother's intuition is a powerful thing. Why do I always question myself? I am such a black and white person, I hate that gray area in between. Back in January, when Grace was originally diagnosed with bacterial pneumonia, I still felt like there was more than that wrong with her. It took 2 ER visits and 2 doctor's visits before I finally stood my ground and said "I can feel that there is more to this, and I can't take care of her at home anymore". Turns out I was right. She had meningitis as well.

So, from here on out, I'm going to trust this intuition that God has given me a little more. I believe its a gift he gives to mothers to help us care for these sweet little people he blesses us with.

Of course, Mom and Marianne, you should still keep your phone lines open. I'm sure I will still be calling.

1 comment:

  1. Now you have me a little curious as to what the staph infection looks like. Megan has had a weird rash under her arms and down her belly for a couple days. Today she was diagnosed with a bad ear infection, her very first ever! I didn't mention the rash though because I was focused on her ear and didn't think to mention it. My first thought was chicken pox but I knew that's not what it really looked like so I just ignored it. I probably should have listened a little more closely to my instincts. You could email me if you have time at megasam1@hotmail.com Thanks!

    ReplyDelete