Sunday, May 31, 2009

HOW DOES YOUR OUR GARDEN GROW?

Today was a great day! Paco finished building my raised vegetable garden bed...here he is putting on the finishing touches...We recycled some wood we had left over from the new deck he built a couple years ago. We will probably get a few years out of it and then will replace it with a retaining wall of landscaping bricks at that time. Its just over 12 feet long by 4 feet wide, and 17 inches high. We built it tall because I want to grow carrots and potatoes and they need at least 12 inches for their roots, not to mention its easier on the back! We stapled landscaping fabric on the bottom to prevent weeds. We chose not to treat the wood because I'm keeping it an all organic garden and don't want the chemicals seeping through the soil to our veggies! I'll be using organic fertilizer as well. Here's a look at the finished frame...I originally wanted the garden in our backyard, but the space I had picked out for it just doesn't get enough sunshine, so we put it on the end of our house. It gets full sun for about 9 hours. Paco is still in shock that I gave in and did it his way. It's so unlike me. Ha! Soooo, after unloading two truckfulls of this... and a little help from these two...
We finally got the darn thing filled up! Next was the fun part....PLANTING!!

Of course, we put the "homegrown" touch on things....the kids worked the dirt with their feet..hey, it works for grapes doesn't it?
So if you come over for dinner and the veggies taste a little funny, you will know why! Here's Gracie with her watermelon plant...and Cole was in charge of spreading steer manure....with much animation I might add...Gracie working her magic...she already has a love for gardening!! and, finally, the finished product!!I know, I know....its not that impressive yet, but it will be! We planted a few starters and then quite a few seeds, although if I had known we were going to get this built I would have started the seeds inside a couple months ago. No big deal though...it will be fun for the kids to watch the entire process! I still have to stake the tomatoes and I want to find some cute marker stakes for all the other veggies. Here's what we planted...
  • lots of tomatoes (early girl, cherry, and yellow)
  • radishes
  • carrots
  • yellow squash
  • bush beans
  • icebox watermelon (the small ones)
  • red and yellow peppers
  • cucumbers
  • raspberries
  • chives
  • cilantro
  • oregano and basil (these will be in pots at the end of the garden)

I will also be doing a little bit of composting, gathering up kitchen scraps, blending them up and spreading them in the garden. I did this last year with my flowers and they loved it!

We are lucky enough that our neighbor's sprinklers happen to hit this particular area of our yard, so we will be recycling his water into our garden! This will be perfect for when we are on vacation over the summer.

We also finally got our topsy turvys planted. Usually I do all my planting over Mother's Day weekend, but being sick has really set me back on everything. I got all my pots done this weekend too. Here's what they look like (yes, I know this is just SO important to you, isn't it?)
We planted two of these. It will be interesting to see if they live up to all the hype! Here's one of the pots on the back deck...I planted four total...

I used lobelia, marigolds, zinnias and white alyssum. These are identical to what I did last year and they nearly tripled in size...the alyssum grew over the pot and was touching the deck, they were gorgeous! I also have a pink hydrangea that Paco sent me for my anniversary, I have to do some research and see if I can find a place to plant it. Also, my rhododendron is in full bloom and the peonies are about to open up! Gracie and I would like to try strawberries, but I don't know if its too late? Anyone know? Thanks to my Mom for teaching me what she knew about gardening! I'm certainly not an expert, but learning as I go.

Wow, this wound up being a long post with alot of pictures of, well...alot. Hope you enjoyed the tour....now its time for me to nurse my sunburn and aching muscles!

1 comment:

  1. Look at you go! Looks great. Glad you finally got your topsy turvey doo-dad (although it kind of boggles the mind). Hope you had a great weekend.

    -Amanda

    ReplyDelete