Sunday, March 15, 2009

RAIN, RAIN DON'T GO AWAY

This morning I woke up to the pitter patter of raindrops. I love rainy weekend mornings! The coffee is brewing (my favorite smell), my favorite hazelnut candle is burning, the kids are watching spongebob, I'm blogging, and husband is snoring. All is well! Today is a family day, meaning its a rare day when Paco is off on a weekend and we all get to be together. The kids really look forward to these and I'm sad we don't get more! Family day also means Dad's world class made to order omelets!! Then we will do a few chores and a little homework and head to the gym to workout and swim. You gotta love a day like this! Tonight I am making capellini with fresh tomato sauce (another weight watchers recipe), it is so yummy! Perhaps I will snap a photo and post the recipe later. Cole refuses to eat any pasta whatsoever (the horror!), so it will probably be grilled cheese and some fruit and veggies for him. We are really committing to a healthier lifestyle and find it is so much easier when we do it together. The kids have always loved healthy foods, so that part is easy! I had a proud moment yesterday afternoon when they chose sugar snap peas and red peppper strips over a bag of chips. YAY!

Gracie and I had a girls' night yesterday evening with my girlfriend Michelle, her daughter and her granddaughter. We did our hair and makeup, painted our nails and wore pretty jewelry. Michelle's granddaughter Marley reminded me so much of my kids when they were babies!! She was such a little angel....and as I thought I realized its so hard to remember my life with young babies. Since my kids are only 18 months apart, they really were babies together. Where did it all go? Did I enjoy it enough? I remember the day before I had to return to work from my first maternity leave with Cole. I was so upset about going back that I laid in my bed with him most of the day and cried. I couldn't bear the thought of being away from him! Of course those first few days were rough, but then we really settled into our routine. It also helped that it was usually Paco or my grandmother who was with Cole while I was gone. I went through the same thing after I had Grace, I just loved being with those sweet babies all the time! We have been fortunate to have never had to put our kids in daycare, due to the fact that often we work opposite schedules (not really such a great thing), and also that I have a fantastic boss who allows me a ton of flexibility in my scheduling. So in a nutshell that's why I chose to continue to be a working Mom. I have never had to miss out on the things that are really important to the kids and I. (Okay, okay, I DID weasel my way out of math game night a few weeks ago, sheesh). I've never gotten involved in the working mom/stay at home Mom debate, everyone does what works best for their family! Don't get me wrong, I still have the Mom guilt some mornings when I have to leave. Moms have guilt. Period.

Now, there ARE some things I just don't miss about having young babies. Mainly just the hassle of trying to go somewhere and lugging all your gear. Now, we just pick up and go! I also don't miss my good ole' breast pump. That's a 2 year relationship I was happy to put an end to. I won't go into further detail on that subject, except, good riddance!

But oh, how I miss the little baby snuggling and cooing and co-sleeping and snugli wearing times. I loved the early early mornings nursing Gracie before I left for work, and she was so snuggly and lovey in her fuzzy sleepers. Those were true bonding times. I remember what a little chunk she was, and what a perfect little baby Cole was, just always so laid back and relaxed. Would one more baby be such a bad thing??

WHOA. SLOW DOWN GIRL. This always happens when someone lets me hold their lovely little bundle of joy. I've got the fever.

On to other things. This has become a virtual mixing bag of topics today, guess I have alot on my mind! I am tentatively planning a trip to visit my darling little sister in Virginia this fall...ALONE! JUST ME!! NOBODY ELSE! Can't wait!

Oh, another thought. Please say a prayer for our 4 year old neighbor boy, who has been in the hospital for almost 2 months (or so) battling leukemia. The family also has a younger son and a newborn. Even after being with Gracie while she was in the hospital, I can't imagine what they are going through. Please keep them in your thoughts and prayers!

More to come later!!

1 comment:

  1. Check this out, it's cool.
    http://laissezfairedesign.blogspot.com/

    Also, I can't figure out how to fix my broken comments link. It will take some investigating.

    ReplyDelete