Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Creamy corn chowder

I threw this in the slow cooker this morning for us to enjoy for dinner tonight. It was fantastic!! It is vegetarian/vegan friendly and so tasty!

Creamy Corn Chowder
*taken from "125 best vegetarian slow cooker recipes" by Judith Finlayson

1 tbsp vegetable oil (I use olive oil)
2 onions, finely chopped (*I used one onion, and one leek. I used the white part of the leek and sliced it thinly)
2 carrots, diced
2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
1/2 tsp dried thyme leaves or poultry seasoning (*I used thyme)
1 tsp salt (*I used unrefined sea salt)
1/2 tsp cracked black peppercorns
1 bay leaf
3 1/2 cups vegetable stock (*I used 4 cups)
2 large potatoes, peeled and grated
2 cans cream-style corn
1 green bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped (*I used a red pepper)
1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped, optional (I omitted it)
1/2 tsp ground cumin

In a skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, leek, celery and carrots to pan and cook, stirring, for 7 minutes, until softened. Add thyme, salt, peppercorns, and bay leaf and cook, stirring, for one minute. Add stock and bring to a boil. Transfer mixture to slow cooker. Stir in potatoes.

Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours, until vegetables are tender. Add corn, pepper, jalapeno, if using, and cumin. Stir well. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment