Saturday, August 7, 2010

I'm groovin

Three months ago, we had our final weigh-in for a weight loss contest at work. All my hard work paid off, and I won my second weight loss contest in a row. I was feeling great, was 65lbs lighter, $550.00 richer and really proud of myself. So, what did I do next?

Fell off the wagon, that's what.

Yep, I gave myself a 2 1/2 month "break". I just couldn't get myself back in the game. I loved the weight loss competition, because I am competitive and that was my source of motivation. After it was over, however, there was no one to compete with or to hold me accountable. I floundered. I stopped going to the gym as often, missed yoga classes, and didn't pay close enough attention to what I was eating. While I have continued with the vegetarian lifestyle, I let too much other junk slip into my diet. (cocktails, anyone? Doritos?)

Then, a few weeks ago, weighing in 11 pounds heavier than I did back in May, I realized that this journey isn't over, and it was time to get back on track. In a way, I'm thankful for the "break", because it was a sharp reminder of how easily I could slip back into old patterns. Maybe I needed that 11 pounds to serve as a smack in the face. Break's over, girl...you've got a job to do. And so I did. Like always, the first few days were the toughest. I realized I still had a goal weight to reach and every day I blew it just pushed my goal further away. I got back to the workouts, yoga, counting points (remember I follow the weight watcher's program), and excercising self control.

 Then, amazingly enough, it got easier. I looked forward to the workouts again, and loved how I felt after a day of really great eating. I fell back into my and it felt great.

I got my groove back.

 I've re-lost the 11 pounds and am on my way to where I want to be. I remain at 65lbs lost and have about 60 left to go. Of course I'll continue to update my "pounds lost" button on my sidebar. I'm over halfway there. I was hoping to have lost 100lbs by mid-October (my one year mark), but given that I "lost" a couple months I may not make it. :)

No matter. I'll get there when I get there. 'Cause Denise has got her groove back.

1 comment:

  1. I know you can do it! I can't believe how much you lost so far! Believe me..I know how hard to resist your favorite junk food! But I have faith in you! You go girl!!!!

    ReplyDelete