Tuesday, March 16, 2010

BODYPUMP CLASS

Tonight, Chad (our yoga instructor) was sick, so we found ourselves lured into the BODYPUMP class. Basically, this is a weight/strength training class, set to really loud music and led by an insanely enthusiastic husband/wife team. Everyone has a bar, and you add weights to it according to your level. I was surprised how much I enjoyed it. The beginning part of the class was awfully easy, but after I added on some weight it was much more challenging. I'll definately be feeling it tomorrow!! Tomorrow night I'm doing the spin class with a couple friends. Because I enjoy torturing myself. I'm just like that. Right Amanda?

As I was chatting with Millie, (one of the instructors) after the class, she mentioned that she was a personal trainer. I asked for her advice regarding these weight loss plateaus that I've been hitting. She said I will burn way more fat with strength training than all the cardio I've been doing. Her strategy for me was this: do the bodypump class 3x a week, and follow those classes with 30 minutes of cardio. I'll give this a try for awhile and see if it makes a difference. She also mentioned to make sure that as you lose weight, you're eating less.  With weight watchers, your daily points decrease with your weight, so I know this area is still right on track.

I've vowed to spend a few weeks avoiding the scale. I've started feeling hostage to it!! Hope all my HYC friends are doing well and making progress!

P.S. Check out these great BODYPUMP success stories!!

1 comment:

  1. Feeling monday's spin class today. I was fine yesterday but today--ouch. Oh well. It hurts so good! I'll have to check out the body pump class at my gym now. Thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete