Sunday, March 1, 2009

MESSY, MESSY, MESSY

So... my goal for this weekend was to help the kids clean their rooms. I mean REALLY clean their rooms. Normally, we keep up on their rooms on a daily basis to avoid what I had to suffer through this weekend. It's been about a week since we've done much in there and boy was that enough time for disaster to strike. Gracie's room is normally fairly easy, mainly because she's not a messy person. However, as with any 5 year old things eventually catch up to you. We were able to get rid of clothes that don't fit, toys that are broken or missing pieces, and socks without buddies. We organized the books and just for fun color coded her clothes in the closet. (No, I DONT expect it to stay that way). We even got ALL of the teeny tiny polly pocket accessories all in one place. Whoever invented Polly Pockets should be shot. They owe me 2 new vacuum cleaners already. Poor Polly, its not her fault.

Cole's room? Another story entirely. To Cole, EVERYTHING is a treasure. Every scrap of paper, plastic red robin cup, and every tag that comes off his new clothes. Worksheets from preschool (that was 2 years ago!), one particular go-gurt package (hey, it DID have a great joke on the back!), and the lid to a plastic tub that met its demise during Mom's LAST purging episode. He has a use for everything. I guess the environmental enthusiast in me would find this wonderful, that we re-use our garbage as bedroom artwork. We spent most of the morning with me putting things in bags and him taking them back out. I'm sure all you parents out there go through the same thing. Speaking of treasure, we find a virtual treasure trove in the back corner of his closet!! Apparently that is where all his clothes go when I ask him to hang them up. Sooo, 3 hours were devoted to this project and I am happy to say that HE is very happy with the results. He even took pictures on his camera. Now I remember why we keep up on things! Honestly, though, I do love his creative side! I think I read somewhere that a messy room helps foster creativity. Interesting theory. For me it just fosters insanity.

Yes, Yes, I can hear it from some of you...this is all part of parenthood. However, being an organized self proclaimed neat freak, its my worst nightmare! I love having places for things and knowing where they are when I need them. I've always been that way...its just me. I like that about myself, but it can also make me crazy!! Paco keeps reminding me that one day all the mess will be gone and I will be aching for my kids back...with their messes!

1 comment:

  1. Hm. If a messy room fosters creativity, then I must have a plethora of creativity deep down inside me somewhere. Further proof it can wait until later...

    ;)

    ReplyDelete